We all want change, right? Some stuff in our life just doesn’t feel right. We also want to determine what stage we’re at in the process. I don’t want to be the caterpillar. I certainly don’t want to be the chrysalis – ouch. I choose butterfly, thank you very much. Oh, and when do I want change? Yesterday would be good.
There’s whole bunches of clever copy out there right now promising to fix us all up in five days or to make us this, that or the other in a certain amount of time. These promises are very tempting, and they are a fine approach for temporary fixes, but this is not how REAL change happens. We’re talking HEART change here – our internal life, which has to be the starting point for ALL change in our life.
It really is too exciting when you take a look at the scripture in IICorinthians 3:18 that tells us
“We are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another.”
This sounds like some pretty great news, but it’s very clear that there’s a lot of growth happening constantly, and some versions state it more clearly as PROGRESSIVELY. You ARE making progress, even if you feel like you’re standing still. Growth is happening all the time, and it’s something that we’ll be experiencing our whole lives. As much as we would like to, we cannot rush the process, and we don’t want to anyway, because if we’re only wanting His will in our lives, then that can only happen in His way and in His time.
Here is how change typically works for me – the process of having something fully revealed at last:
- I hear, read, see or think something new.
- After I hear, read, see or think that same thing a few more times, it becomes HEAD knowledge. At this point, I THINK I get it. But I really don’t. I just don’t know that I don’t until later on.
- I experience that thing over and over; it is becoming something that is part of my consciousness.
- Suddenly, like a flash of light, not by anything I do, it becomes HEART knowledge. Giant ah-ha moment, and now I REALLY, REALLY get it.
- I have opportunity to experience it. Some people call these tests and think that they are opportunities to pass or to fail. I think in the beginning of heart knowledge, we are SUPPOSED to fail. Because that’s how we fully experience it, fully learn from it, fully grow into the realization that is meant for us.
- God changes me to the point where this thing is simply part of who I am now, without me having to practice self control or remember anything or try to be a certain way.
Simultaneously, I am at all of these levels on many, many different things. Happily, our Creator is the One with all the balls in the air and not me!
So close your eyes for a moment, take a deep breath and remember – you’re not on your own here. You don’t have to do it all on your own. You are in good hands.